Stop action photographs girth gear photographs are an excellent predictive maintenance task that every site can employ without shutting down critical mills, kilns, or dryers. When taken at regular weekly intervals, changes in mill set operation and condition can quickly be identified.
What failure modes can I detect with this method?
- excessive contamination
- tooth fracture
How to take stop motion photos
- Open the pinion inspection door with the set-in operation
- Take images of the pinion using a landscape setting or higher aperture to capture a clear image of the entire pinion
- Schedule a weekly reminder on your calendar → Add to Calendar
06/15/2020 08:00 AM
06/15/2020 8:15 AM
Weekly inspection of gear
Take images of the pinion using a landscape setting or higher aperture to capture a clear image of the entire pinion
- If damage is detected send images to firstname.lastname@example.org for a complementary remote assessment
What tools do I need?
- Digital Camera with Flash
- Macro modes with a lower aperture generally cause more of the image to blur
- The combination of good flash and medium to high aperture will yield the clearest images
- Using manual focus can enhance repeatability of shots
- Do not use a strobe light with the camera it will blur the images
Example stop action photographs