Benefits of ASTM E2905 over Magnetic Particle and Dye Penetrant for Cleaning and Inspections of Mill Gear Drives
- ASTM E2905 – Standard Practice for Cleaning and Examination of Mill Girth Gear Teeth – Electromagnetic Methods.
- AGMA 919-1-A14, Condition Monitoring and Diagnostics of Gear Units and Open Gears, recognizes E2905 as an acceptable inspection method.
- Cleaning times on a 10m girth gear is under 1 hour. No need to wipe gear teeth after cleaning, saving numerous person hours.
- Inspection time on a 10m, 406 tooth gear set is 7 hours.
- E2905 is cleaner, faster, documentable, and covers a larger area in less examination time and greatly improves Probability of Detection better than any other traditional Non-Destructive Testing methods today for gearing applications.
- Covers a large area in one single pass. Provides real-time mapping of the inspected region, facilitating data interpretation. Improves reliability and Probability of Detection.
- Complies with Insurance companies requirements and could reduce insurance premiums.
|Preparation / Inspection Times
|Magnetic Particle / Dye Penetrant
|Full Electronic Backup
|Total Time for Inspection
|25 – 35 hours
|Compliance with ASTM E2905
Much faster than traditional methods.
Provides more production revenue than using traditional methods.
All data is recorded electronically; not on paper as in Magnetic Particle or Dye Penetrant.